WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL
Approved Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at 6.45pm on
Monday 18 March 2013 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.
Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), G Barnett, L S Day
and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).
Also present, for part of the Meeting, was PCSO R Newcombe.
1 Apologies for absence
Cllr. R A H Sword sent apologies.
County and Borough Cllr. D Jeffels and Borough Cllr. M Jay-Hanmer were unable to attend.
2 Declaration of interests
In accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct, it has been AGREED to grant dispensation to all Members to allow them to contribute to the discussion of all agenda items. This decision is in the interests of the inhabitants of the Parish and will facilitate effective consideration of the business. Voting dispensations will be considered as and when they become necessary.
Lady Downe declared an interest in the Potash proposals and said she would not take part in any discussion. Lady Downe also declared an interest in Agenda item 6 Millennium Walk and Ruston Village Amenity Area.
3 Public Question Time
Seven residents of North Moor had attended a Q & A session on the implications of the proposed Potash Mine that was held prior to the Parish Council Meeting. Mr D Saunders who, along with Mr M Wright, stayed for the whole of the Parish Council Meeting was invited to speak.
Mr Saunders referred to his email dated 14 March 2013 in which he asked for consideration to be given to imposing a speed limit through North Moor explaining that residents, including young families, are concerned about the speed of traffic including vehicles servicing the forestry. Mr Wright added that the forestry traffic starts moving early in the morning.
It was pointed out to the residents that speed limit matters are the responsibility of the North Yorkshire County Council’s Highways Dpt. and that the issues will be drawn to their attention for comment.
ACTION – THE CLERK TO DRAW THE ATTENTION OF THE HIGHWAYS DPT. TO THE ABOVE CONCERNS OF NORTH MOOR RESIDENTS. HE WILL ALSO WRITE TO THE TIMBER FREIGHT QUALITY PARTNERSHIP.
Mr Saunders also referred to a request from the residents that a Parish Council Notice Board be provided at North Moor and it was AGREED that this will be considered at the Council’s next Meeting. Mr Saunders acknowledged that North Moor residents receive a copy of the WRNM Newsletter. The Clerk explained that the Parish Council’s website is a “work in progress” and he will ensure that agendas for Parish Council Meetings are posted on it a week in advance.
ACTION – THE CLERK TO INCLUDE CONSIDERATION OF A NOTICE BOARD FOR NORTH MOOR ON THE AGENDA FOR THE NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING AND ALSO ENSURE THAT AGENDAS ARE POSTED ON THE COUNCIL’S WEBSITE.
Cllr. Terry took the Chair at this point and it was agreed to confirm the Parish Council’s position regarding the Potash planning application taking into account the information received from Mr R Hunt (York Potash) at the earlier meeting and the North Moor residents’ request in a petition that the Parish Council supports the idea that mining exclusion zones be agreed to protect their properties.
It was AGREED that the Parish Council will maintain its support, in principle, for the Potash mine but will write to the North York Moors Planning Authority (NYMPA) asking for all practical planning safeguards for the North Moor properties to be imposed whilst allowing for the most optimum extraction consistent with such safeguards. At the same time, the NYMPA would be asked if it can offer some guidance on the procedures for claiming compensation should the need arise.
ACTION – THE CLERK TO WRITE TO THE NYMPA IN THE TERMS AGREED ABOVE.
In the meantime, North Moor residents will consider asking for a meeting with the Dawnay Estates to discuss their concerns.
At this point, PCSO Richard Newcombe was asked to provide an update on Policing matters and he took the Meeting through the March Report for the Derwent Valley Ward. He confirmed that Inspector Andy Short, who is based in Eastfield, is now in Post as the senior local Officer. In April, PCSO Newcombe will take over Derwent Valley duties from PCSO Braidley who is moving to Seamer/Crossgates.
PCSO Newcombe said that the pattern of thefts from vehicles continues along with incidents involving the stealing of garden furniture, farm equipment, scrap metal, diesel and attacks on Churches. Off roader activity continues to cause nuisance and the joint patrols with the National Park Rangers have resulted in a number of tickets being issued.
Over the last year, crime figures for the Ward have increased from 62 to 93 incidents with the most significant increases being in fraud, forgery, theft and handling. Members’ referred to being approached with offers of machinery and PCSO Newcombe said he was aware of the person concerned and that there was no evidence of wrongdoing. In cases like this, the Police liaise closely with Trading Standards.
PCSO Newcombe concluded by saying that he will consider the comments about speeding through North Moor and he left the Meeting having been thanked for attending.
4 Minutes of the Meeting held on 29 January 2013 and Matters Arising.
The Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.
With Lady Downe in the Chair, Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the receipts and the payments made since the Meeting on 12 November 2012. The following requests for payment were APPROVED and cheques authorised:
Derwent Valley Bridge (Former Ayton Library) – grant 2013/14 100.00
Clerk’s 3 month salary payment (January to March 2013) net 240.00
HMRC – income tax on the Clerk’s gross salary 60.00
Members noted that a fee of £55.00 had been paid to Scarborough Borough Council for an application for planning consent for the Ruston signs. It was AGREED to authorise the Clerk to pay Wilf Noble for the construction of the signs and then reclaim 75% of the net cost from the Borough Council. The total net cost is expected to be about £1,700.00 of which the Parish Council will contribute about £425.00. It was also AGREED that the Clerk will pay the annual subscription to the Yorkshire Local Councils Association when the invoice is received. Last year’s subscription was £107.00.
6 Community Projects, issues and initiatives
The position regarding the new signs for Ruston had already been discussed.
Cllr. Terry reported that the Spring edition of the WRNM News has been published. Cllr. Barnett confirmed that BATA will contribute £50.00 towards printing costs and he is hopeful that the Downe Arms and Hardwick Agricultural Engineers will contribute similar amounts.
Cllr. Day provided an update on the Millennium Walk and Ruston Village Amenity Area project. The National Park Team, including the apprentices, has now completed the essential parts of the scheme including the provision of gates, seats and fencing, surfacing along the route, drainage improvements and shrub clearance. Signage will now be erected. Consideration will need to given to the ownership of this new infrastructure and to any implications for insurance. Cllr. Day said that publicity will be given to the project in local newspapers. There was a discussion about the circumstances in which sheep should be allowed to graze the walkway and it was AGREED that this matter should be discussed with Cllr. Sword and Mrs Risker.
Cllr. Day referred to the efforts of the local community in assisting completion of the above project and also to the work carried out in re-edging the road at Town End in Ruston.
Members said how pleased they were with the outcome and thanked Cllr. Day for his efforts in co-ordinating the work with the National Park Officers and the Estate. It was AGREED to send a letter of thanks to Mr M Williams the LEADER Community Access Project Officer.
ACTIONS – THE CLERK AND CLLR. DAY TO DRAFT A LETTER TO MR WILLIAMS TO BE SIGNED BY LADY DOWNE. THE CLERK TO DISCUSS THE ISSUE OF SHEEP GRAZING THE WALKWAY WITH CLLR. SWORD AND MRS RISKER.
Under Other Community Issues, the Clerk reported that the Estate has arranged for further work to be carried out to ensure the free flow of Ruston Beck. The continued flow of water down Eastgate in Ruston was mentioned and it was AGREED that the Highways Inspector should be reminded that he had undertaken to assess the problem once the worst of the Winter weather was over.
ACTION – THE CLERK TO ASK THE HIGHWAYS INSPECTOR TO INVESTIGATE THE CAUSE OF WATER RUNNING DOWN EASTGATE IN RUSTON.
7 Consultations and liaison
The Clerk reported receipt of a letter from Scarborough Borough Council which sets out the circumstances in which Local Green Spaces can be designated for protection in the emerging Local Plan. Mr Saunders was allowed to contribute to the discussion and he asked about taking such action in respect of land to the south of North Moor Cottages. He undertook to provide the Clerk with background information.
ACTION – MR SAUNDERS (RESIDENT AT FOREST LODGE, NORTH MOOR) TO PROVIDE THE CLERK WITH THE ABOVE INFORMATION.
Members had received a consultation/questionnaire on the Police and Crime Plan and this was duly completed. Lady Downe suggested that Julia Mulligan, the new Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire, could be asked to be the guest speaker at the Annual Parish Assembly and an approach to her was AGREED.
ACTION – THE CLERK TO APPROACH THE POLICE AND CRIME COMMISSIONER ABOUT HER SPEAKING AT THE ANNUAL PARISH ASSEMBLY.
8 Planning Application
The application by York Potash had been discussed earlier in the Meeting.
9 General correspondence
Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. Of particular interest, was a notice confirming that there will be an Election for a County Councillor for the Seamer and Derwent Valley Division on Thursday 02 May 2013. Members noted that there will be vacancies for Parish Councillors as Co-opted Members on the Yorkshire Coast and Moors Area Committee.
Cllr. Day commented that he is liaising with the Borough Council about the availability of the “Choices 4 Energy” mobile exhibition at the Village Show on 21 July.
Members also noted the information from Viking UK Gas regarding the Ebberstone Moor B Wellsite, the letter from Mr Robert Goodwill MP in response to the concerns about the Localisation of Council Tax Support and a letter of thanks from Anita Cassedy on behalf of the Derwent Valley BRIDGE (formerly Ayton Library).
10 Date and time of next Meeting
The Annual Parish Council Meeting will be held on Monday 13 May 2013 at 6.00pm. This will be followed by the Annual Assembly at 7.00pm. The venue for both Meetings will be confirmed.
Chairman – Signed by Lady Downe on 13 May 2013.