Tuesday 23 November 2010

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Meeting held at 6.30pm on Tuesday 23 November 2010

at St John’s, Wykeham Business Centre, Wykeham.

Present:

Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), K R Shamel, L S Day

R A H Sword and C H Holmes (Clerk).

Cllr. D Jeffels joined the Meeting.

1 Apologies for absence.

Cllr. M Jay-Hanmer was unable to attend.

2 Presentation by Matthew Joseph from Scarborough Borough Council.

Lady Downe welcomed Matthew Joseph who briefed the Council on the Voice Your Choice initiative which has a “one off” pot of about £70K available for projects that will make a difference to life in the rural area surrounding Scarborough Town. The money must be spent in the next financial year so it is important that projects can be proved to be viable. The minimum amount that can be applied for is £1,501 and the maximum is £10K.

The deadline for submissions is 13 December 2010 and interest is invited from any constituted voluntary or community group or a Parish Council. A Sub Committee of Borough and Parish Councillors will make an initial assessment of the bids which will then be voted on by local residents at two drop in sessions, one at East Ayton Village Hall and the other at Scarborough Rugby Club. These events will be held on a Thursday evening and a Saturday in March/April 2011 and all applicants will need to provide a display and attend both sessions to explain their project and answer any questions.

A discussion took place about the options for making bids from Wykeham and Ruston and Cllr. Day commented that the Cricket Club is submitting a bid to fund the purchase of equipment. The possibility of attracting funding for the Parish Newsletter was also raised.

ACTION – CLLR TERRY TO EXPLORE THE POSSIBILITY OF SUBMITTING A BID FOR FUNDING FOR THE PARISH NEWSLETTER

Lady Downe thanked Matthew Joseph for attending.

3 Declaration of interests

Cllr. Sword declared an interest in the planning application for development at Wykeham Primary School.

4 Minutes of the Meeting held on 20 September 2010 and Matters Arising.

The draft Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

It had been agreed at the last Meeting that the present number of the Council Members is appropriate given the size of the Electorate and the nature of business conducted but that the procedures for increasing the number should be investigated. The Clerk has held discussions with the appropriate Officers at the Borough Council who have confirmed that it is possible for the Borough Council to agree to increase the size of a Parish Council mid-term but this would automatically result in a Bye-Election being called. The full cost of a Bye-Election would fall on the Parish Council.

Leading on from this matter, consideration was given to publicising the Parish Council Elections on 05 May 2011 and, more generally, the methods used to inform the public about the Council’s activities. It was AGREED that the Clerk will research the costs of developing and maintaining a basic website.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO RESEARCH THE COSTS OF DEVELOPING AND MAINTAINING A BASIC WEBSITE

Cllr. Terry commented that the fly-tipping of furniture and other items on the road continuing from Eastgate in Ruston has now been dealt with.

 

5 Finance

 

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the payments and receipts since the last Meeting. Cheques for the requested amounts were authorised to pay J J Harrison for grass cutting and for the maintenance of the Churchyard and the Church Clock. The Clerk reported that the Borough Council has not yet requested information about the Precept for 2011/12 or provided details of the Model Agreement settlement and it is understood that the deadline for this work will be extended to the end of January 2011.

6 Community Projects and Issues

Cllr. Sword reported some progress on the Village Hall Project. Further discussions have taken place with National Park Officers who are responsible for administering the LEADER and Sustainability funds. The design of the Village Hall would have to meet high credentials for sustainability if grants were to be awarded but these avenues are being explored. It also appears that money for Village Hall development is becoming available again via the Lottery and an up to date and robust Business Plan will need to be in place whatever funding route is chosen.

Cllr. Day commented that any work around Ruston Beck will be put on hold until the Spring. It was noted that the Dawnay Estates have replaced the bridge over the Beck into Mr Barnett’s field and that there is a need to monitor the state of the watercourse in case action needs to be taken to reduce the risk of flooding.

Cllr. Terry reported that the Editor is working on the next edition of the Parish Newsletter. The funding of future editions was again discussed and Cllr. Shamel will contact local businesses to see if they could provide sponsorship in exchange for being given space to describe their activities and promote them. It was acknowledged that the inclusion of general advertisements would detract from the “pureness” of the publication. The fall-back position remains the possibility of sponsorship from a local resident.

ACTION – CLLR SHAMEL TO CONTACT LOCAL BUSINESSES ABOUT THE POSSIBILTY OF THEM FEATURING IN, AND SPONSORING, THE PARISH NEWSLETTER

The Clerk reported that BT has repaired the vandalised call box in Ruston and the Company has been requested to give it a thorough cleaning.

The provision of Christmas Trees was discussed as was the possibility of celebrating the Royal Wedding in April 2011.

Cllr. Jeffels spoke about the possibility of the County Library at East Ayton being closed and explained that it contains a wide range of services that are well used and accessed by a cross section of age groups. He confirmed that many areas of public services are being reviewed to see where money can be saved including the arts, economic development, grants to bus services (including the Moors Bus) and changes to street lighting operations. It was AGREED to object to the possible closure of the Library and to ask the County Council to consider ways of using the facility to provide additional services. Another opportunity will be taken to urge the County Council to focus first on cutting non-essential and discretionary provision before reducing or withdrawing front line services.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO WRITE TO THE COUNTY COUNCIL ABOUT EAST AYTON LIBRARY AND SERVICE CUTS IN GENERAL AS AGREED ABOVE

7 Transportation Matters

Members were advised that the County Council has fully restocked all its salt barns in anticipation of winter weather and has provided Government backed advice to people clearing snow. The County Council is willing to offer training advice to Community Groups who wish to organise snow and ice clearance and this was noted. It was AGREED to display the guidance on the Parish Notice Boards and to write to those local people who regularly volunteer to help when bad weather strikes.

ACTIONS: THE CLERK TO DISPLAY SNOW CLEARING ADVICE ON THE PARISH NOTICE BOARDS AND CLLR SWORD TO WRITE TO LOCAL VOLUNTEERS WHO REGULARLY CARRY OUT THIS WORK

The Meeting discussed the need for road maintenance in Burton Terrace, Eastgate (where water is bubbling up through the road surface) and Westgate in Ruston and Carr Lane in Wykeham. Cllr. Jeffels said he would take these matters up with Mr West the Highways Area Manager.

ACTION- CLLR JEFFELS TO REFER ROAD MAINTENANCE ISSUES TO MR WEST

8 Consultation and Liaison

The Clerk referred to the meeting of Scarborough Borough Council, North Yorkshire County Council and Town and Parish Councils planned for 13 December 2011 and the arrangements were noted.

Consideration was given to the forthcoming Review by the Borough Council of its Dog Control Legislation and it was noted that currently Dog Bans and Dogs on Leads controls apply mainly in the urban areas of Scarborough, Whitby and Filey and on the beaches. Dog Fouling controls apply more generally although areas such as woodland, agriculture, marshland, moors and heathland are exempt. It was AGREED to inform the Borough Council that there should be no relaxation of the controls applying throughout the scheme.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INFORM THE BOROUGH COUNCIL OF THE ABOVE DECISION

As part of its drive to reduce costs, the County Council is reviewing the discretionary elements of its support in transporting pupils from home to schools and colleges. The groups likely to be affected by withdrawal of financial assistance are those attending “Faith Schools” by choice, pupils in the 16-19 age group with Special Educational Needs and others who are supported to travel to a school of choice rather than their local school. A whole host of different criteria and caveats need to be applied when considering the proposals and it was AGREED that the County Council should be asked to consider developing a simplified system that can apply equally to all pupils requiring transport whatever their personal circumstances.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INFORM THE COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE ABOVE DECISION

The National Park Authority is seeking proposals for the undergrounding of overhead, low voltage electricity schemes located in or adjacent to the Park. An allowance of nearly £1.7m has been set aside for this work and it was AGREED to explore with the Authority, the possibility of including some existing infrastructure in both Ruston and Wykeham village.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO CONTACT THE NATIONAL PARK AUTHORITY WITH A VIEW TO TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE UNDERGROUNDING SCHEME

The Borough Council is reviewing the scheme for Validating Applications for Planning Permission and this was noted.

9 Planning Applications

Members considered a application to provide security fencing and improve an outbuilding at Wykeham CE Primary School. It was AGREED to strongly object to the style and extent of the fencing because of the effect it would have on the Conservation Area and the Listed Buildings which include St Helen’s and All Saints Church. There was no objection to the proposal for the outbuilding.

ACTION- THE CLERK TO INFORM THE COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE ABOVE DECISION

10 General correspondence

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. Attention was focused on the Police Report and the updates on the proposed Waste Recovery Park at Allerton on the A1M near to Harrogate.

11 Public Question Time

No members of the public attended.

12 Date and time of next Meeting

Monday 17 January 2011 at 6.30pm in the St John’s Office at Wykeham Business Centre.

Chairman- Signed by Lady Downe on 17 January 2011.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.