Tuesday 15 May 2012

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting held at 6.00pm on Tuesday 15 May 2012 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.

Present:

Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), R A H Sword, G F Barnett,

L S Day and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).

 

Also in attendance for the first part of the Meeting was County and Borough

Cllr. D Jeffels.

 

1    Apologies for absence

 

Borough Cllr. M Jay-Hanmer was unable to attend.

 

2    Election of Chairman for 2012/13

 

Cllr. Terry PROPOSED that Lady Downe be elected as Chair.  This was SECONDED by Cllr. Sword and was AGREED.  Lady Downe signed the acceptance form.

 

3    Election of Vice Chairman for 2012/13

 

Lady Downe PROPOSED that Cllr. Terry be elected as Vice Chairman.  This was SECONDED by Cllr. Day and was AGREED.

 

4    Declaration of interests

 

No declarations were made.

 

5    Minutes of the Meeting held on 19 March 2012 and Matters Arising.

 

Cllr. Sword is continuing to follow up the state of fly tipping adjacent to the North Moor railway bridge and he will contact the Highways Area Office about this problem.

 

ACTION – CLLR. SWORD TO CONTACT THE HIGHWAYS AREA OFFICE ABOUT THE FLY TIPPING ADJACENT TO NORTH MOOR RAILWAY BRIDGE.

 

Cllr. Day confirmed that work has started on the construction of the new Cricket Pavilion.  Funding of £25K was received from Yorventure and although the plans have been scaled down, the design allows for expansion if additional finance becomes available.  Offers of building materials have been gratefully received but the requirement for insulation has triggered the need for Planning and Building Regulations approval and this resulted in delays and extra cost.

 

The Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

 

6    Finance

 

  1. Members had received a copy of the Summary Receipts and Payments Account for the Year ending 31 March 2012.  This was AGREED and Lady Downe and the Clerk signed a copy.

 

  1. The Clerk reported that Mrs M Welsh, who had been appointed with the approval of the Chairman, has carried out the Annual Internal Audit required under section 4 of the Annual Return for the Year ended 31 March 2012.  Mrs Welsh confirmed that all of the internal control objectives have been met.

 

  1. The Clerk drew Members attention to the information to be included in section 1 – Accounting Statements in the Annual Return and explained that the figures are derived from the Summary Receipts and Payments Account.  He went on to highlight section 2- Annual Governance Statement. It was AGREED that all of the statements in section 1 are approved and that all of the requirements in section 2 have been met.

 

  1. Lady Downe and the Clerk signed off sections 1 and 2 in the Annual Return.

 

  1. The Clerk reported that the Parish Council’s Insurance for 2012/13 will cost £379.48.

 

  1. It was AGREED that the Clerk’s salary will remain at £1,200.00 in 2012/13 and that £50.00 will be made available to support IT hardware.

 

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the receipts and payments made since the last Meeting.  The following requests for payment were APPROVED and cheques authorised:

 

Clerk’s stationery and IT allowance for 2011/12                                            £100.15

Broker Network – Parish Council Insurance for 2012/13                                 £379.48

Mrs M Welsh – Internal Audit Year ending 31 March 2012                               £  37.50

Woodalls – repairs to the Marquee                                                               £  45.00

7    Community Projects   

 

Cllr. Day reported that the National Park Authority will not be able to help fund development of the Millennium Walk and the longer loop. Discussions are taking place with Scarborough Seachange over funding and there is some money available in the Village Account.  A working party of 5 people is considering the suggestions for improving signage for the walks and for printing a brochure, along with ideas for commissioning sculptures, planting bulbs and the provision of steps and picnic tables at the Ruston end of the Walk.  Cllr. Sword asked about plans for the “new Village Green” in Ruston and Cllr. Day commented that people are wary about crossing the land because of the presence of sheep and horses.  He suggested that a corridor could be created by fencing to encourage use by pedestrians.  It was AGREED that Cllr. Sword would arrange a meeting with Mrs Risker to discuss the matter.

 

ACTION – CLLR. SWORD TO ARRANGE A MEETING WITH MRS RISKER TO DISCUSS THE PUBLIC’S USE OF THE “NEW VILLAGE GREEN” IN RUSTON.

 

Cllr. Terry commented on the discussions at the last Parish Council Meeting when alternative ways of funding and publishing the WRNM News were considered.  Both he and Mrs Terry are strongly of the view that local people value the newsletter in its current printed format.  The Clerk confirmed that even with the donation of £500.00 from last year’s Whizz, funding for printing has now been exhausted and it was AGREED to use money banked from hiring out the Marquee to pay for the next edition.  This is on the understanding that a strategy for funding future editions will be considered at the next Parish Council Meeting.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INCLUDE FUNDING OF THE WRNM NEWS AS A SPECIFIC ITEM ON THE AGENDA FOR THE NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

 

Cllr. Sword provided an update on the former Ayton Library which is now called Derwent Valley BRIDGE. The new facilities opened today (15 May) when it was very busy.  He commented on the amazing work of the Steering Group which has been fully supported by North Yorkshire County Council. The approved Business Plan is being held up as an exemplar for others to follow.  Cllr. Jeffels endorsed these comments and said that West Ayton Parish Council has responded to a request for top-up funds by agreeing to donate £1,200.00 towards running costs.  It was AGREED to use £100.00 from the Marquee fund for the same purpose.

 

Further to the consideration of options at the last Meeting for celebrating the Queen’s Jubilee and the Olympics, the Clerk reported on his discussion with Mrs Clothier.  She is happy for the School children to be involved with tree planting on Friday 01 June and it was AGREED to liaise with her over the planting of single oak trees in Wykeham and Ruston.  Cllr. Sword will decide on the precise locations.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK AND CLLR. SWORD TO LIAISE WITH MRS CLOTHIER REGARDING THE TREE PLANTING CEREMONIES.

 

The Clerk reported that Scarborough Borough Council is making 5 seats available at the Open Air Theatre on Monday 18 June when there will be celebrations to mark the appearance of the Olympic Torch.  People are being asked to attend from 10.00 hours for a four hour production and Cllr. Barnett said he and Mrs Barnett would like to be present.

 

Cllr. Terry commented that some of the Gun Club’s activities in the former Wykeham Quarry seem to be taking place in close proximity to the public highway.  It was AGREED that Cllr. Barnett would check the current arrangements.

 

ACTION – CLLR. BARNETT TO SPEAK TO THE GUN CLUB ABOUT THEIR ACTIVITIES.

 

8    Consultations

 

The Clerk summarised the main content of Scarborough Borough Council’s consultation on the Brief for the Futurist and Town Hall development.  It was AGREED to make the following comments:

 

  1. There is no objection to the demolition of the Futurist but any new development must include an auditorium and supporting facilities capable of hosting the type of production that has been so successful in recent times.

 

  1. The creation of a new “super” pedestrian link between King Street and the Foreshore is not supported.  Instead, every effort should be made to improve existing links and to channel pedestrian flow to Newborough/Eastborough, the Market Hall/Vaults and the Old Town.

 

  1. Only viable and realistic plans should be encouraged.  It is frustrating when developers get permission based on the inclusion of exciting elements that will benefit the community, only for these to be reneged on once the profitable part has been built.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INFORM THE BOROUGH COUNCIL OF THE ABOVE COMMENTS ON THE FUTURIST AND TOWN HALL DEVELOPMENT BRIEF.

 

Members NOTED the consultation by Scarborough Borough Council on the draft changes to Gambling Policy.

 

The Clerk reported on the receipt of amended details for the planning application for a Wind Farm at East Heslerton.  It was AGREED to repeat the objection made by the Parish Council in May 2011 i.e. “because of the visual impact it would have over a wide area of largely unspoilt countryside.”

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO REPEAT THE PARISH COUNCIL’S OBJECTION TO THE WIND FARM PROPOSAL AT WEST HESLERTON

 

9    General correspondence

 

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. In particular, the following were noted:

 

  1. Notification of highway maintenance on Wykeham Lane to North Moor (The Clerk was asked to refer the poor state of Main Street in Wykeham and blocked gulleys on the A170) to the Highways Area Office).

 

  1. Recruitment of 2 co-opted independent members of the North Yorkshire Police and Crime Panel.

 

  1. Notification of proposed drilling operations by Viking UK Gas Ltd. in Wykeham Forest (Brompton and Sawdon Parish).

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO CONTACT THE HIGHWAYS AREA OFFICE ABOUT THE POOR STATE OF THE CARRIAGEWAY IN WYKEHAM MAIN STREET AND BLOCKED GULLEYS ON THE A170. 

 

10  Dates and times of next Meetings

Monday 02 July 2012 (changed to Monday 16 July 2012 at 7.00pm)

Monday 10 September 2012

Monday 12 November 2012

Monday 21 January 2013

Monday 18 March 2013

Monday 13 May 2013 Annual Meeting and Parish Assembly

All Meetings other than the Annual Meeting (time to be advised) to start at 6.30pm.

Venues to be confirmed prior to each Meeting.

 

 

Chairman – Signed by Lady Downe on 16 July 2012.

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.