Thursday 10 October 2013

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at 6.30pm on

Thursday 10 October 2013 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.

Present:

Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), R A H Sword, G Barnett, L S Day

and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).

Also present was County and Borough Cllr. D Jeffels and (for part of the Meeting)

PCSO S Rowley.

1 Apologies for absence

 

All Members were present.

Borough Cllr. M Jay Hanmer sent apologies as did Mr D Saunders.

2 Declaration of interests

 

In accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct, it was AGREED to grant dispensation to all Members to allow them to contribute to the discussion of all agenda items. This decision is in the interests of the inhabitants of the Parish and will facilitate effective consideration of the business. Voting dispensations will be considered as and when they become necessary.

Lady Downe and Cllr. Sword declared an interest in items 1,2 and 5 of agenda item 7, Planning Developments and Applications.

The Clerk confirmed that new Register of Interests entries have been completed by each Councillor and that these have been delivered to Scarborough Borough Council’s Monitoring Officer.

Lady Downe closed the Meeting Agenda and invited PCSO Rowley to make her report.

Members had received the hard copy Police Report with the agenda and PCSO Rowley limited her verbal contribution to the headline material. Regarding the three Police priorities for Derwent Ward, a large number of fixed penalty points have been issued and vehicles seized in attempts to ensure Safer Roads. There were no new matters to report under the headings of Poaching and Fly Tipping/Dog Fouling. Local crimes at St Helens’ Caravan Park (theft of a caravan), Moor Lane, Wykeham (burnt out car) and North Moor (theft from an honesty box) were discussed. Three crimes involving drugs were reported and PCSO Rowley said she would provide further information.

ACTION – PCSO ROWLEY TO PROVIDE UPDATE INFORMATION INCLUDING ON THE DRUG RELATED CRIMES.

PCSO Rowley was thanked for attending and left the Meeting which was reopened.

3 Minutes of the Meeting held on 08 July 2013 and Matters Arising.

 

The Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

The Clerk confirmed that he had reported the incidents of anti-social behaviour and the cycling events to both the National Park Authority and the Forestry Commission. They are aware that such incidents/events occur and advise members of the public to report them to the Police where there are matters of concern.

4 Finance

 

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the receipts and the payments made since the last Meeting.

The Clerk reminded Members that Central Government has made changes to the Council Tax regime and that the Borough Council provided a grant of £190 in 2013/14 to ensure that the Parish was not financially disadvantaged. He went on to say that this grant is likely to be repeated in 2014/15 but not thereafter. This information will be taken into account during the Budget setting process.

The Clerk reported that the External Auditor, Littlejohn LLP, has approved the Parish Council’s Accounts for the Year ending 31 March 2013. There is no fee to pay this year as the payment regime applying to Councils with small budgets has changed.

5 Community Projects, issues and initiatives

 

Cllr. Sword reported that the Annual General Meeting of the Village Hall Committee will be held on 16 October. There will be a review of the list of current Trustees and consideration will be given to appointing new ones. The position regarding the plans for a building will be reported.

Cllr. Day provided an update on the Millennium Walk and Ruston Village Amenity Area project. Bluebell and daffodil bulbs are to be planted and various tidying up work is being completed including the erection of a fence to stop children accessing the Beck.

Cllr Terry reported that the Christmas edition of the WRNM News will be the last to be edited by Mrs Terry. It was AGREED that all should canvass likely candidates for this role.

ACTION – MEMBERS TO CANVASS LIKELY CANDIDATES FOR THE ROLE OF EDITOR OF THE WRNM NEWS.

 

The Clerk reminded Members that funding is in place to cover printing costs up to and including Edition 27, December 2012. A total of four editions will be printed in 2013 and the Parish Council has committed up to £250 towards costs if a similar level of funding can be attracted from elsewhere. BATA has given £50 and Cllr. Day was able to confirm that the remaining £200 will be donated from the proceeds of the Village Show. The Clerk will liaise with the Estate Office to ensure that invoices are received for outstanding printing costs.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO LIAISE WITH THE ESTATE OFFICE RE. OUTSTANDING PRINTING COSTS FOR THE WRNM NEWS.

Regarding the Village Show, Cllr.Day commented that with good weather, the event had been well attended with about £400 being raised. He said that more help would be welcomed on the day itself and that this can be mentioned in the next WRNM News. There will be a meeting in January to discuss details of the event for 2014. Cllr. Day was thanked for his efforts in helping to organise the Show.

Under Other Community Issues, Cllr. Sword provided an update on the Derwent Valley BRIDGE, the former Ayton Library. The project has gone well and there are now up to 70 volunteers running library and other community services as well as maintaining the premises. Administration is evolving, with the Steering Group being replaced by a Management Board and Members and Trustees will be appointed. The first AGM will be held at 7.00pm on 07 November 2013 and Cllr. Sword will send some information about how the BRIDGE will be run to the other Members of the Parish Council.

ACTION – CLLR. SWORD TO CIRCULATE DETAILS OF HOW THE BRIDGE WILL BE RUN.

 

Cllr. Sword referred to a dead tree in the highway verge opposite North House, Wykeham (Pickering side carriageway). This was reported to Highways by the Clerk several weeks ago and Cllr. Jeffels said he would follow this up. Cllr. Terry reported damage to the carriageway where the road from Ruston joins the A170 (Downe Arms side) and at the entrance to Farfield, also on the A170.

ACTION – CLLR. JEFFELS TO REFER THE MATTER OF THE DEAD TREE AND THE DAMAGE TO THE CARRIAGEWAYS TO THE HIGHWAYS AUTHORITY.

6 Consultations and liaison

 

The Clerk reported that he had contacted Mr Ayres at Hansons to establish how the Parish Councils’ representative on the Management Committee Meeting, set up as part of the approval process for the extensions to Wykeham Quarry, will be chosen. Cllr. Sword is of the view that the inaugural membership was too large and that Parish Council representation should be restricted. It was AGREED that this point should be made to Hansons.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO ADVISE HANSONS THAT ONLY ONE PARISH COUNCILS’ REPRESENTATIVE SHOULD BE APPOINTED ON THE WYKEHAM QUARRY MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE.

The Clerk circulated summaries of the County Council’s Proposed Reductions to Bus Service Subsidy and it was AGREED to discuss a response to the consultation, which ends on 25 November 2013, at the next Parish Council Meeting on 18 November.

The Clerk reported that there is still time to submit bids for funding Community Projects to the Borough Council’s Central Rural Area Committee. These have to be in by 25 October 2013 and there was a discussion about the possibility of attracting funding for further work on the Millennium Walk and adjoining land and a lap top computer for community work.

ACTION – CLLR. DAY AND THE CLERK TO INVESTIGATE THE POSSIBILITY OF MAKING FUNDING BIDS AS OUTLINED ABOVE.

 

A consultation Briefing Note from the Borough Council about further proposed changes to Local Support for Council Tax in 2014/15 had been circulated with the agenda and Members discussed the illustrative case studies and the financial impact that changing the maximum liability from 91.5% to 80%-85% would have on dependant households. It was AGREED to delay a response until further information about the impact that a range of 82%-87% would have and whether it could be phased in.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO OBTAIN THE ADDITIONAL LSCT INFORMATION FROM THE BOROUGH COUNCIL.

 

It was AGREED to inform the Borough Council that the Downe Arms is a satisfactory venue as a Polling Station.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO CONFIRM TO THE BOROUGH COUNCIL THAT THE DOWNE ARMS IS CONSIDERED TO BE A SATISFACTORY VENUE AS A POLLING STATION.

7 Update on Planning Developments and Applications

 

Cllr. Jeffels was asked for an update on the York Potash Ltd. planning application and he confirmed that the current application is being held in abeyance while further studies and investigations take place. Revised plans will not be considered before July 2014 and a decision is unlikely before the end of that year. It may be that the current application will be withdrawn to be replaced by a new proposal that would extend east beyond the National Park boundary to involve land in the jurisdiction of North Yorkshire County Council.

Members referred to the interesting visit to the Viking Gas development on Cockmoor Road in Sawdon Parish and it was AGREED to thank the Company for arranging this and for the way it has handled public relations including when issues have arisen and concerns have been expressed.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO THANK VIKING GAS AS AGREED ABOVE.

 

The Clerk confirmed that the application for alterations and an extension to form a stable and pig sty at North Moor Cottage, East North Moor has been approved

 

The Clerk reported that the application for a Wind Farm at Linghall Farm, West Heslerton, which was refused contrary to Officer recommendation, will be tested on appeal at a Public Inquiry starting on Tuesday 19 November 2014 at the Ryedale District Council Offices in Malton.

The Clerk also reported on the application for the approval of details for work to extend Wykeham Quarry. The outstanding details for approval concern landscaping, soils and boundary treatment.

8 General correspondence

 

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. The list of meetings organised by various Local Authorities and organisations was NOTED. The Police Report had been considered earlier in the Meeting and the Clerk highlighted an invitation from the Police and Crime Commissioner’s Office aimed at people who might be interested in becoming a Special Constable.

9 Public Question Time

 

No members of the electorate were present at the Meeting.

10 Dates and times of next Meetings

 

Monday 18 November 2013.

Monday 20 January 2014.

Monday 17 March 2014.

Monday 19 May 2014 – Annual Meeting and Parish Assembly

All Meetings, other than the Annual Meeting and Parish Assembly (time to be advised), will commence at 6.30pm and the intended venue will be the St John Ambulance Office at the Wykeham Business Centre.

Chairman – Signed by Lady Downe on 18 November 2013.

 

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.