Monday 20 September 2010

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Meeting held at 6.30pm on Monday 20 September 2010

at No.2 Langley House, Wykeham Business Centre, Wykeham.

Present:

Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), K R Shamel, L S Day

R A H Sword and C H Holmes (Clerk).

1 Apologies for absence

Cllr. D Jeffels and Cllr. M Jay-Hanmer were unable to attend.

2 Declaration of interests

None were declared.

3 Minutes of the Meeting held on 14 July 2010 and Matters Arising.

The draft Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

It was AGREED that the present number of the Council Members is appropriate given the size of the Electorate and the nature of business conducted but that the procedures for increasing the number should be investigated. The next Elections to the Parish Council are in May 2011 and it was AGREED to publicise the opportunity for people to stand for the 5 places including via an article in the Newsletter.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INVESTIGATE THE PROCEDURES FOR INCREASING THE SIZE OF THE PARISH COUNCIL AND ENSURE THAT PUBLICITY IS GIVEN TO THE OPPORTUNITY FOR ELIGIBLE PEOPLE TO STAND FOR ELECTION IN MAY 2011

Cllr. Terry commented that fly-tipping of furniture and other items on the road continuing from Eastgate in Ruston has still not been dealt with.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO REPORT THE FLY-TIPPING TO SCARBOROUGH BOROUGH COUNCIL AND ASK FOR EARLY ACTION TO BE TAKEN

4 Finance

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the payments and receipts since the last Meeting. Cheques for the requested amounts were authorised to pay J J Harrison for grass cutting and for the Clerk’s half year salary to the end of September 2010. The Clerk reported that Mazars (the external Auditors) have approved the Accounts for the year ending 31 March 2010 without comment and a cheque for the fee was authorised.

5 Community Projects and Issues

Cllr. Shamel reported some progress on the Village Hall Project. Further meetings have taken place to discuss the size and costs of a building after it was decided that the recent proposal was not large enough. Maintenance costs need to be closely examined as it appears that the School’s use of the facilities may be less than anticipated with a consequent drop in revenue. Residents have been asked to complete a questionnaire about the project and 47 out of a total of 140 have been returned. These have been collated and are now being analysed.

Cllr. Day reported that little progress has been made on plans to improve Ruston Beck and Cllr. Shamel added that a resident has expressed concern about the silting up problem and the potential for flooding. It was noted that most problems appear to result from mud and debris that is washed down from upstream of the Village centre. Cllr. Day said that he hopes to be able to report to the next Parish Council Meeting on the prospect of providing sculptures along the Millennium Walk.

Cllr. Terry reported that the next edition of Parish Newsletter is almost ready for publication. The Clerk confirmed that £150.00 from Cllr. Jeffels budget allocation has been received to support printing costs but that both the main sources of possible funding suggested by Mrs Mitchell (Coast and Moors Voluntary Action) have confirmed that they cannot support the work of Parish Councils. It was AGREED to investigate the possibility of financial help from a local resident. Other possible funding was discussed, including using some of the money that has been raised for community development by hiring out the Marquee or by attracting grant aid to the Millennium Account/Village Fund.

ACTIONS:

(1) CLLR. TERRY TO ESTABLISH THE POSITION RE. THE POSSIBILITY OF FINANCIAL HELP FOR THE NEWSLETTER FROM A LOCAL RESIDENT;

(2) CLLR. DAY TO ESTABLISH THE POTENTIAL FOR LINKING THE PUBLICATION OF THE NEWSLETTER TO THE MILLENIUM ACCOUNT/VILLAGE FUND

Cllr.Shamel reported a resident’s concern about the condition of the Ruston Telephone Kiosk. This matter was first reported to BT in June 2009 and the Clerk has made regular requests to BT that the Company should confirm what action it is going to take and a further assurance has been received that a Field Manager will assess the position. It was AGREED that the Clerk would write to BT expressing concern about the delay and ask that the matter be given urgent attention.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO WRITE TO BT ABOUT THE CONDITION OF THE RUSTON TELEPHONE KIOSK IN THE TERMS AGREED ABOVE

6 Transportation Matters

The Clerk summarised a letter from the County Council’s Passenger Transport Unit which describes the intention to reduce the amount spent on bus services by £600,000 from April 2011. This would effectively mean the withdrawal of the 128 service in the evenings Monday to Saturday. It was AGREED to object to this proposal because of the effects on local communities and at the same time ask the County Council to investigate suggestions by users that routes and timing of services in the A170 corridor should be re-examined along with the potential for using smaller vehicles. The County Council is also looking to save about £400,000 p.a. on the Concessionary Fares Scheme and is proposing that the concession should in future apply between 9.30am and 11.00pm (currently 9.00am to 6.00am). It was AGREED not to object, in principle, to this proposal.

It was further AGREED to copy the response to the County Council’s Chief Executive and urge that the approach to spending cuts should be based on protecting services that are of direct benefit to the public and focus cuts on administration and non-essential provisions.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO WRITE TO THE COUNTY COUNCIL’S PASSENGER TRANSPORT UNIT AS AGREED ABOVE AND SEND COPIES TO THE COUNTY COUNCIL’S CHIEF EXECUTIVE, MR ROBERT GOODWILL MP AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR D JEFFELS

The Clerk also referred to a letter from Mr N West the County Council’s Area Manager for Highways and Transportation. This confirms that £2.12m has been cut from the Integrated Transport allocation and the effect will be that the remaining funding will be focused primarily on maintenance schemes. The letter also refers to the forthcoming Comprehensive Spending Review being carried out by the Government and it is anticipated that this could result in a cut of up to 50% in the current £30m budget for highway and bridge maintenance and transport improvements.

The Area Manager has also responded to a number of requests made by the Parish Council. Although concern was expressed to him about the height of grass in the verges to the bends approaching the cottages on North Moor Road, the County Council is not carrying out cutting of this type. Budget constraints mean that there will be no immediate improvement to the road leading from Eastgate in Ruston up towards Rowe Howe House and there is no timescale for replacing the stone coping stones on entrance signs to Wykeham on the A170.

7 Consultation and Liaison

The Clerk referred to Scarborough Borough Council’s Draft Sustainable Development Strategy and this was NOTED.

Consideration was then given to the latest information from the County Council about the proposal to build a Waste Treatment Facility at Allerton, adjacent to the A1M and near to Harrogate. Based on the financial and environmental case outlined in the documents, it was AGREED to support the principle of the proposal.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INFORM THE COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE ABOVE DECISION

The National Park Authority is reviewing its Management Plan and has circulated a questionnaire to stakeholders asking for views on the challenges that need to be addressed. It was AGREED that Cllr Sword would complete the questionnaire on behalf of the Parish Council and return it to the Clerk who will send it to the NPA.

ACTION – CLLR SWORD TO COMPLETE THE NPA MANAGEMENT QUESTIONNAIRE AND RETURN IT TO THE CLERK FOR POSTING

8 Planning Applications

The Clerk reported that the application to construct an All Weather Menage at Carr Farm, Wykeham has been approved subject to conditions which exclude the provision of floodlighting and restrict use to that by the occupants, their family and friends for solely private use.

9 General correspondence

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. Attention was focused on the Police Report and “The Celebration of the Countryside” event that is being held in Snainton Village Hall on 14 October 2010.

Cllr Sword referred to the demise of Yorkshire Forward and to the potential for a Local Enterprise Partnership to partly fill the void. He commented that it will be important to promote initiatives and secure funding for rural areas and it was AGREED to ask Parish Councils in the A170 corridor (Seamer/Crossgates to Snainton) if they would wish to be represented at a meeting with Mr David Kelly, the Borough Council’s Economic Development Officer,

ACTION – THE CLERK TO ARRANGE A MEETING TO DISCUSS THE LOCAL ENTERPRISE PARTNERSHIP AS AGREED ABOVE

10 Public Question Time

No members of the public attended.

11 Date and time of next Meeting

Tuesday 23 November 2010 at 6.30pm. Venue to be advised.

Chairman – Signed by Lady Downe on 23 November 2010.

 

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.