Monday 20 January 2014

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at 6.30pm on

Monday 20 January 2014 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.

 Present:

 Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), R A H Sword, G Barnett, L S Day

and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).

Also present for part of the Meeting was PC Bilton.

 

1    Apologies for absence

 

All Members were present.

 

Borough and County Councillor D Jeffels sent apologies.

 

2    Declaration of Interests and Register of Interests

 

In accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct, it was AGREED to grant dispensation to all Members to allow them to contribute to the discussion of all agenda items.  This decision is in the interests of the inhabitants of the Parish and will facilitate effective consideration of the business.  Voting dispensations will be considered as and when they become necessary.

Lady Downe and Cllr. Sword declared an interest in agenda item 7, the planning application for a grain store at Ruston Farm.

The Clerk reminded Members that a complaint has been made that their Register of Interests entries are not yet displayed on the Parish Council’s website.  He has written to the Borough Council’s Monitoring Officer on three occasions requesting advice on how to proceed but is still waiting for a reply.

3    Minutes of the Meeting held on 18 November 2013 and Matters Arising.

 

The Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

Cllr. Sword said that he will research the possibilities of finding a location for housing a computer for use by the community before the next round of funding bids to the Borough Council’s Central Rural Committee in 2014.

ACTION – CLLR. SWORD TO RESEARCH THE LOCATIONS FOR HOUSING A COMPUTER FOR USE BY THE COMMUNITY.

 4    Finance

 

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the receipt and the payments made since the last Meeting.

The Clerk had updated the Council’s Financial Regulations to take into account the current arrangements for payments of salary and income tax and also the need to maintain up to date online records with HMRC.  It was AGREED to adopt the amended Financial Regulations.

The Clerk confirmed that the Borough Council’s Cabinet has approved the £190.00 Localisation of Council Tax Support Grant for 2014/15.

5    Community Projects, issues and initiatives

 

Cllr. Sword reported that the Village Hall Committee has met on several occasions.  Discussions have focused on the proposed site in the Hillyard (building floor area of about 120 sq.m.) and funding opportunities.  Advice on funding continues to be received from Sarah Lally-Marley from Ryedale Action/Seachange and the options range from a Big Lottery bid to a “jig saw” approach involving tapping into several funds.

Cllr. Day provided an update on the Millennium Walk and Ruston Village Amenity Area project and referred to a meeting of the Working Party that is planned for 02 February.  The National Park Authority has donated two seats, one of which is already in place. He

confirmed that Mrs Risker had organised repairs to post and rail fencing.  The re-hanging of a gate beyond East Gate in Ruston will be carried out shortly.

ACTION – CLLR. DAY TO ADDRESS THE MATTER OF THE GATE THAT NEEDS RE-HANGING.

With regard to the WRNM News, discussions continue with a possible candidate for taking over the role of editor but there is still the issue of having to make a computer and broadband services available.  It was AGREED that Cllrs. Day and Sword would continue to research these issues.

ACTION – CLLRS. DAY AND SWORD TO FOLLOW UP THE INTEREST SHOWN IN BECOMING EDITOR OF THE WRNM NEWS AND ALSO RESEARCH THE AVAILABILITY OF COMPUTER HARDWARE AND BROADBAND.

Cllr. Sword reported that the Derwent Valley BRIDGE project continues to thrive.  He commented that Parish Councils will again be asked to support the BRIDGE financially to help with running costs.

The need to review the Parish Plan was considered and it was AGREED that all Members will assess the current document in time for a discussion at the next Parish Council Meeting.  Cllr. Terry said he may have spare copies available but, if not, he will arrange for some to be printed at the Estate Office.

ACTION – CLLR. TERRY TO ARRANGE FOR MEMBERS TO RECEIVE A COPY OF THE CURRENT PARISH PLAN IN TIME FOR THEM TO READ IT BEFORE THE NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING.

Under Other Community Issues, Cllr. Day reported that there is to be a meeting on 20 February to discuss the Village Show.  Central to the discussions, will be the need to find additional help on the day of the event.

Cllr. Terry expressed concern about the implications of shale gas and other extraction given the current high levels of interest and the Government’s support, in principle, for such enterprises.  It was AGREED that the situation should be closely monitored although it was acknowledged that there is little specific information about the prospects for North Yorkshire at the present time.

 At this point, PC Bilton arrived and Lady Downe suspended the agenda so he could make his Report, a copy of which had been circulated previously.

PC Bilton concentrated on crime and other significant incidents that had occurred since the last Meeting.  He referred to damage to signs at St Helen’s Caravan Park, for which an arrest was made, and to thefts of diesel and other burglary at commercial premises in Sawdon.  In the latter case, some items have been recovered and enquiries are ongoing.  The case involving livestock that was described by PC Bilton in November, has been before Magistrates and is due to be heard in Crown Court today.

Lady Downe thanked PC Bilton for attending and he left the Meeting.

Lady Downe reopened the Meeting and returned to the agenda.

 

6    Consultations and liaison

 

Members considered a request from the National Park Planning Authority for comments on its review of local vetting criteria for information to be submitted with planning applications.  It was AGREED that Cllr. Sword will draft a response to the short questionnaire for comment by the other Members.

ACTION – CLLR. SWORD TO DRAFT A RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONNAIRE WHICH WILL THEN BE CIRCULATED TO OTHER MEMBERS BY THE CLERK.

 The Clerk reported that the Borough Council can supply Members with details of the Register of Electors and individual forms were completed to be forwarded to the Town Hall.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO FORWARD MEMBERS’ REQUESTS FOR REGISTER OF ELECTORS INFORMATION TO SCARBOROUGH BOROUGH COUNCIL.

7    Planning Application

 

Members AGREED that there is no OBJECTION to the proposal to build a grain store at Ruston Farm (13/02596/FL) but wanted the Borough Council to assure itself that the arrangements for dealing with surface water run-off from the new building will have no adverse effects on adjoining land or property or the level of water in Ruston Beck.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO REPORT THE ABOVE VIEWS TO SCARBOROUGH BOROUGH COUNCIL.

 

8    General correspondence

 

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2.  In particular, it was noted that:

 

  • York Potash Ltd’s planning application has been withdrawn and that a new application is expected to be submitted at the end of July 2014;
  • The planning application for a wind turbine at Kirk Gate, Sawdon has been withdrawn;
  • The six Household Waste Recycling Centres with low usage are at Thornton le Dale, Leeming, Leyburn, Settle, Tholthorpe and Wombleton;
  • The Section 137 expenditure limit for 2014/15 is £7.20 per elector.

 

9    Public Question Time

 

No members of the electorate attended the Meeting.

10   Grass Cutting Contract 2014/15

 

The Clerk explained the process that had been followed to invite quotations and it was AGREED to award the contract to J J Harrison Ltd. of Whitby.  The Clerk was asked to inform the company of the decision and at the same time confirm that, whilst the Parish Council is pleased with the standard of past grass cutting, more attention needs to be paid to weed control as this was not effective enough in 2013.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO WRITE TO J J HARRISON AS AGREED ABOVE.

11   The Clerk’s Retirement

 

Lady Downe confirmed that she has received notice that Mr Holmes will be retiring as Clerk and that the latest date will be the end of June 2014.  Thought will now be given to appointing a replacement and expressions of interest from locally based persons will be welcomed.  

12   Date and time of next Meeting

 

Monday 17 March 2014 at 6.30pm in the St John Office at Wykeham Business Centre.

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.