WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL
Draft Minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting held at 6.00pm on Monday 19 May 2014 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.
Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), R A H Sword, L S Day
and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).
Also present was Mr G Parkin (newly appointed Clerk) and W Jackson a resident of Wykeham.
Lady Downe announced the death of Cllr. G F Barnett of Manor Farm, Ruston who had made such an effective contribution to the work of the Council and who would be sadly missed amongst the local community. It was AGREED that a letter of condolence be sent to Mrs Barnett and that a tribute be included in the next edition of the WRNM News.
ACTIONS – THE CLERK TO WRITE TO MRS BARNETT AND CLLRS. TERRY, SWORD AND DAY TO PREPARE A TRIBUTE TO MR BARNETT FOR INCLUSION IN THE WRNM NEWS.
1 Apologies for absence
Borough and County Cllr. Jeffels had sent apologies but had submitted a report for circulation at the Parish Assembly Meeting. Lady Downe emphasised the value that is placed on Cllr. Jeffels unstinting efforts to support local communities and follow up any concerns and other issues with the relevant authorities.
2 Election of Chairman for 2014/15
Cllr. Terry PROPOSED that Lady Downe be elected as Chairman and this was SECONDED by Cllr. Day. The proposal was AGREED and Lady Downe signed the acceptance form.
3 Election of Vice Chairman for 2014/15
Lady Downe PROPOSED that Cllr. Terry be elected as Vice Chairman and this was SECONDED by Cllr. Sword. The proposal was AGREED.
4 Declaration of Interests and Register of Interests
In accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct, it was AGREED to grant dispensation to all Members to allow them to contribute to the discussion of all agenda items. This decision is in the interests of the inhabitants of the Parish and will facilitate effective consideration of the business. Voting dispensations will be considered as and when they become necessary.
5 Minutes of the Meetings held on 17 March and 16 April 2014 and Matters Arising.
The Minutes were AGREED to be true records and Lady Downe signed copies.
Under item 5 on 17 March (Community Issues), Members had raised the issue of numerous potholes remaining unfilled and there was now general agreement that much of the required work has been completed. Lady Downe said this was an example of Cllr. Jeffels applying pressure to achieve results when a significant problem needed to be addressed.
Cllr. Day referred to another action initiated by Cllr. Jeffels as the bus shelters have been repainted by the Community Pay Back team organised by Scarborough Borough Council.
It was AGREED that Cllr. Jeffels should be formally thanked for all his efforts.
ACTION – THE CLERK TO FORMALLY THANK CLLR. JEFFELS FOR HIS WORK ON BEHALF OF LOCAL COMMUNITIES.
- Members had received a copy of the Summary Receipts and Payments Account for the Year ending 31 March 2014 and this was AGREED.
- The Clerk reported that Mrs M Welsh has carried out the Annual Internal Audit required under section 4 of the Annual Return for the Year ended 31 March 2014. Mrs Welsh confirmed that all of the internal control objectives have been met.
- The Clerk drew Members attention to the information to be included in section 1 – Accounting Statements in the Annual Return and explained that the figures are derived from the Summary Receipts and Payments Account. He went on to highlight section 2- Annual Governance Statement. It was AGREED that all of the statements in section 1 are approved and that all of the requirements in section 2 have been met.
- Lady Downe and the Clerk signed off sections 1 and 2 in the Annual Return.
- The Clerk reported that the Parish Council’s 3 Year Insurance scheme finishes at the end of May 2014 and that AVIVA are offering cover for a further 3 years at a cost of £412.42 per annum. A second quote has been requested from Zurich and the cost would be £324.92 per annum for 3 years. Mr Parkin has kindly compared the 2 quotes and was invited to address the Meeting with his conclusions. Mr Parkin said that the 2 quotes are broadly similar but that there are three provisions regarding liability and indemnity that he would like to check with the Insurers to confirm exactly what is covered and whether the quotes are compatible. It was AGREED that Mr Parkin will complete his assessment and then contact Members for agreement to proceed with a recommended quote.
ACTION – MR PARKIN TO COMPLETE HIS ASSESSMENT OF THE INSURANCE QUOTES FROM AVIVA AND ZURICH, INFORM MEMBERS OF HIS RECOMMENDATION AND SEEK AGREEMENT TO PROCEED.
Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the the receipts received and payments made since the Meeting on 17 March 2014. Requests for payment were noted and cheques authorised.
Cllr. Terry asked if there is still an outstanding account to be settled following use of the Marquee in 2013. Cllr. Sword said that the Estate will make a contribution to Marquee funds.
ACTION – CLLR. SWORD TO ARRANGE FOR A CONTRIBUTION TO BE MADE TO THE MARQUEE FUNDS.
Members NOTED that Scarborough Borough Council is consulting on a Draft Street Collections Policy and is asking for comments by 31 July 2014. The Clerk was asked to highlight any specific implications for the Parish in time for the Parish Council’s next Meeting which will be in July.
ACTION – THE CLERK TO HIGHLIGHT ANY SPECIFIC IMPLICATIONS FOR THE PARISH IN THE DRAFT STREET COLLECTIONS POLICY.
The Clerk reported that there is a new entry in the Forestry Commission’s Register of Grant Schemes and Felling and Cllr. Sword confirmed that licences have been applied for on land within the Estate.
The Clerk described the content of the National Park Authority’s consultation on its Draft Statement of Community Involvement in Planning. It was AGREED to respond with the following comments:
- Executive summaries are essential if Parish Councils are to be effectively involved. These should highlight those matters that Parishes can most usefully comment on.
- Parish Councils must be consulted by email or letter and should be asked to acknowledge receipt of the notification. It is not sufficient to simply place documents on a website.
- Where planning proposals have cross boundary implications, all of the affected Parishes must be consulted by email or letter.
- Decisions on planning applications should be transmitted to the affected Parishes by email or letter.
8 General correspondence
Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. In particular, Members NOTED:
- North Yorkshire Council’s decision to cut grass cutting subsidies from 2015. This matter needs urgent attention and requires discussion with Cllr. Jeffels and a site meeting with County Council Officers.
ACTION – THE CLERK TO CONTACT CLLR. JEFFELS RE. THE NEED TO DISCUSS THE DECISION TO CUT GRASS CUTTING SUBSIDIES.
- Details of the National Park Authority’s Community Grant Scheme for 2014/15, details of which were passed to Members for their consideration.
- The Northern Villages Community and Police Support Group meeting on 11 June. Wykeham Parish Council will not be represented.
- The request from the Police and Crime Commissioner for Members to complete a short on-line survey on Road Safety matters.
- Receipt of the YLCAs Provision of Services Agreement which will be particularly useful to Mr Parkin.
- Invitation for one member to attend the Cottam Airfield Wind Farm project workshop. Cllr Terry will attend at Weaverthorpe on 02 June.
9 Confirmation of Mr G Parkin as Clerk to the Parish Council starting
Monday 26 May 2014
Members were in receipt of Mr Parkin’s acceptance of the position on the terms set out in Lady Downe’s letter to him on 17 April 2014 and also 2 references. Lady Downe welcomed Mr Parkin and wished him every success in his new role.
Mr Parkin will replace Mr Holmes as an authorised person for the Barclays Community and Business Saver Accounts.
ACTION – MESSRS. HOLMES AND PARKIN TO ARRANGE FOR A MANDATE TO BE COMPLETED WHICH WILL UPDATE THE BARCLAYS ACCOUNTS AUTHORISATIONS.
10 Dates and times of next Meetings
Monday 21 July 2014
Monday 22 September 2014
Monday 17 November 2014.
All Meetings to start at 6.30pm with the venue to be confirmed.
Duly signed by Lady Downe (Chairman ) on 21st July 2014