Monday 19 March 2012

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at 6.30pm on Monday 19 March 2012 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.

Present:

Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), R A H Sword, G F Barnett, L S Day and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).

 

Also in attendance at the end of the Meeting was PCSO Braidley.

 

1    Apologies for absence

 

Cllr. Terry sent apologies.  County and Borough Cllr. Jeffels was unable to attend.

 

2    Declaration of interests

 

Cllrs. Lady Downe and Sword declared an interest in the amendments to the planning applications at Wykeham Quarry and for Wykeham Cricket Club.  It was AGREED that they could contribute to any discussions.

 

3    Minutes of the Meeting held on 23 January 2012 and Matters Arising.

 

Cllr. Sword said that the summary of the Review of the North York Moors National Park Management Plan outlines a positive approach to supporting the rural economy with a more enlightened vision for the development of farming and recreational activities.

 

The Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

 

4    Finance

 

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the payment made since the last Meeting.  The following requests for payment were APPROVED and cheques authorised:

 

Clerk’s 3 month salary payment (January to March 2012) net                          £240.00

HMRC – income tax on the Clerk’s gross salary                                              £  60.00

YLCA – annual subscription                                                                           £107.00

 

The Clerk confirmed that Scarborough Borough Council has followed North Yorkshire County Council in deciding to accept the Government’s grant aimed at freezing Council Tax for 2012/13.

 

5    Community Projects   

 

Cllr. Day reported that a further meeting is being held this week to discuss development of the Millennium Walk and the longer loop. Suggestions for improving signage for the walks and for printing a brochure will be considered along with ideas for commissioning sculptures, planting bulbs and the provision of steps and picnic tables at the Ruston end of the Walk.  Cllr. Day said that grant aid is being sought from the National Park Authority and that it is always helpful if the Parish Council’s support can be referred in applications for funding.  Cllr. Sword commented that he hoped that consideration will be given to improving the area adjoining Ruston Beck including work to improve the retaining walls.  He also suggested looking at the area outside the old Reading Room in Wykeham although it was acknowledged that parking is a problem.

 

Cllr. Day that the £500.00 is available from the proceeds of the Whizz to ensure that printing costs of the WRNM Newsletter are met through to the Summer of 2012.  The viability of using the Parish Council’s website to publish the Newsletter was discussed and it was AGREED to include an article in the next printed copy asking people if they would access an online version.  A reply slip would be included asking people to provide their email address if they would like a copy of the Newsletter sending to them.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO LIAISE WITH MRS TERRY ON THE METHOD OF NEWSLETTER PUBLICATION.

 

Cllr. Sword provided an update on the future of Ayton Library. He confirmed that a Business Plan has been accepted by the County Council and the building will be leased to what will be a non-profit making company.  The current Library closes at the end of March and will reopen on 01 May 2012.  The volunteers are now working on plans to raise funds to keep the facility open.

 

The options for celebrating the Queen’s Jubilee and the Olympics were discussed and it was concluded that there has been little enthusiasm expressed locally for organising any large scale events.  It was AGREED to consider planting trees in Wykeham and Ruston to commemorate the events and to invite the School to take part.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO CONTACT MRS CLOTHIER TO SEE IF THE SCHOOL IS INTERESTED IN TAKING PART IN TREE PLANTING CEREMONIES.

 

Cllr. Day reported that a meeting is being held on 28 April to sound out opinions on this year’s Wykeham Whizz.  He also produced photographic evidence of fly tipping adjacent to the North Moor railway bridge and said that he had retrieved letters from the site.  It was AGREED that Cllr. Sword will contact the Highways Area Office about this problem.

 

ACTION – CLLR. SWORD TO CONTACT THE HIGHWAYS AREA OFFICE ABOUT THE FLY TIPPING ADJACENT TO NORTH MOOR RAILWAY BRIDGE.

 

6    Transportation and Highways matters

 

Members NOTED the information from Cllr. Jeffels about the reintroduced 128 evening bus service which Scarborough and District Buses are putting a question mark against unless passenger numbers increase.

 

The Clerk reported that the County Council has confirmed that from 01 April 2012, free concessionary travel will no longer be available on the Scarborough Sea Front services.  The County Council has, however, agreed to offer concessionary travel for a flat fare of £1.00 return at any time on Park and Ride services thus accepting the proposal put forward by the Parish Council.

 

The Clerk and Cllr. Sword reported on a consultation led by the County Council on Timber Transport Routes, the aim of which is to ensure that the impact of forest operations and the transport of timber is reduced whilst at the same sustaining a viable forestry industry.  A number of routes run south from forestry to connect with the A170 and it was AGREED to comment on the effect that using HGVs has on Great Moor Road into Hutton Buscel.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO ADVICE THE COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE PARISH COUNCIL’S CONCERNS ABOUT USING GREAT MOOR ROAD INTO HUTTON BUSCEL AS A TIMBER ROUTE FOR HGVs.

 

7    Consultations

 

The Clerk summarised the main content of Scarborough Borough Council’s Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document 2012 which includes an assessment suggesting that 400 new affordable houses need to be built every year in the areas outside the National Park.  Since 2007 there have been 190 completions at an average of 47.5 dwellings a year.  In the Western Parishes, which include Wykeham and Ruston, details of the ratio of affordable houses to total dwellings that should be provided on varying sizes of sites are suggested.  Members concluded that the suggested ratios were too onerous and AGREED to inform the Borough Council that on sites of 5-9 dwellings, the affordable element should be 20% or a financial contribution and that there should be no contribution, financial or otherwise, on sites of less than 5 dwellings.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INFORM THE BOROUGH COUNCIL OF THE ABOVE COMMENTS ON AFFORDABLE HOUSING.

 

Members NOTED the progress being made on preparation of The Ryedale Plan: Local Plan Strategy and the proposed changes to legislation that are intended to increase local accountability in the governance arrangements for National Parks.

 

8    Planning Applications

 

Members NOTED the amended details for the design of the new pavilion for Wykeham Cricket Club and also the submission of further details involving habitat, amenity, heritage and geological matters together with a management plan and legal agreements at Wykeham Quarry.

 

9    General correspondence

 

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2.  Mention was made of the Borough Council’s offer to provide training for the Preparation of Neighbourhood Plans and it was AGREED to invite an Officer to give a short presentation on this subject to the Annual Assembly.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INVITE AN OFFICER FROM THE BOROUGH COUNCIL TO ATTEND THE ANNUAL ASSEMBLY AND GIVE A PRESENTATION ON NEIGHBOURHOOD PLANS.

 

Lady Downe had attended the Borough Council’s training on the interrogation of the Planning applications system.  

 

10  Public Question Time

 

No members of the public were present.

 

11  Date and time of next Meeting

 

Annual Meeting on Tuesday 15 May 2012 at 6.00pm followed by the Annual Parish Assembly at 7.00pm.  The Meetings will be held in the St John Office at Wykeham Business Centre.

 

Update from PCSO M Braidley

 

PCSO Braidley took Members through the latest Police Report for the Derwent Valley Ward.  This had been circulated prior to the Meeting.  The local case of a stolen car and trailer, which have been recovered, was discussed and PCSO Braidley asked that PC Bilton be informed if any equipment is found to be missing from the vehicles.  Cllrs. Day and Sword referred to the earlier discussion about fly tipping and PCSO Braidley said that if any evidence was found outside of Local Authority Office hours then the Police would store it for collection later.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chairman – Signed by Lady Downe on 15 May 2012.

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.