Monday 12 November 2012

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at 6.30pm on Monday 12 November 2012 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.

Present:

Cllrs. J P Terry (Vice Chairman), R A H Sword, G Barnett, L S Day and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).

Also present, for parts of the Meeting, were County and Borough Councillor D Jeffels, Borough Councillor M Jay-Hanmer and PCSO R Newcombe.

1 Apologies for absence

Lady Downe (Chairman) sent apologies.

2 Public Question Time

No members of the Public were present.

3 Declaration of interests

In accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct, it was AGREED to grant dispensation to all Members to allow them to contribute to the discussion of all agenda items. This decision is in the interests of the inhabitants of the Parish and will facilitate effective consideration of the business. Voting dispensations will be considered as and when they become necessary.

Cllr. Sword declared an interest in agenda items 6 (3), 7 (1) and 8.

4 Minutes of the Meeting held on 10 September 2012 and Matters Arising.

 

The Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Cllr. Terry signed a copy.

5 Finance

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the receipts and the payments made since the Annual Meeting. The following requests for payment were APPROVED and cheques authorised:

J J Harrison Ltd – 4 Grass Cuts 1,147.20

Wykeham Estate Settlement – printing of Newsletter 25 144.00

Clerk’s 3 month salary payment (October to December 2012) net 240.00

HMRC – income tax on the Clerk’s gross salary 60.00

Cllr. Sword said he would arrange for the PCC to submit invoices to the Clerk for maintenance of the Churchyard and the Clock in accordance with the allowances in the Model Agreement.

 

The Clerk asked Members to note that the Council’s Budget for 2013/14 will need to be approved at the Council’s Meeting on 21 January 2013.

6 Community Projects, issues and initiatives

 

The Clerk reported that Scarborough Borough Council’s Central Rural Committee has agreed to pay 75% of the cost of constructing new signs for Ruston up to a maximum of £1,500. Cllr. Terry thanked Cllrs. Jeffels and Jay-Hanmer for supporting the project.

The signs will be located just off the A170 at either end of the Village and will take the form of a stone feature incorporating the words “Ruston – Please Drive Carefully”. How to finance the required 25% was discussed and it was AGREED that money can be used from the “Marquee Funds”. The project’s final cost will depend on the nature of the stone features and various options are being considered.

Three quotations have been received from Contractors who are on the County Council’s Highways approved list and these have been based on illustrative designs. It was AGREED that Wilf Noble will be the Parish Council’s preferred Contractor.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO FINALISE THE DETAILS OF THE RUSTON SIGNS PROJECT IN CONSULTATION WITH CLLR. DAY AND PREPARE AN UPDATE FOR THE WRNM NEWS.

Cllr. Terry reported that the Christmas edition of the WRNM News is being prepared. The funding position is unchanged with the Parish Council committing a maximum of £250.00 in 2013 if the community is able to match this figure. It is hoped that the Village Show in 2013, and other local activities, can raise funds for printing the WRNM News.

ACTION – CLLRS. DAY AND TERRY TO CONTINUE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT FUND RAISING INCLUDING WITH THE ORGANISERS OF THE VILLAGE SHOW.

Cllr. Day provided an update on the Millennium Walk and Ruston Village Amenity Area project. Discussions continue with National Park Officers in order to establish the details of the support that the Authority is able to offer. In practical terms, this is likely to result in the provision of gates, seats and fencing and the Authority will use its apprentices and volunteers to carry out the work. The Estate will also be contributing to these improvements. There was a discussion about the nature of the public’s access to and from the amenity area onto Eastgate and it was acknowledged that children leaving the site will need to be slowed down as they approach the public road. Cllr. Sword referred to concerns about the effect horses are having on the state of the land and it may be that a hardcore path will need to be considered. He also reported that the Estate had arranged for work to be carried out to ensure the free flow of Ruston Beck but that further work needs to be done by hand.

Members had received a copy of a letter from Cllr. Jeffels which confirms that the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service is meeting on 12 December 2012 to decide the future of Snainton Fire Station. Attached to the letter is a list of all the Fire Authority’s Members. The Parish Council has also received correspondence from the Fire Brigade’s Union which is seeking support for the campaign to reject any proposal to close Snainton. The issues regarding Snainton and Sherburn Fire Stations and the need to provide adequate cover either side of the A170 were again discussed and these included the potential delays at railway level crossings on the roads connecting Sherburn with the A170 and also the contention locally that Snainton Fire Station could be refurbished at a far lower cost than the quoted £650,000 for replacing the facility. It was AGREED to add the above two points to the Parish Council’s original letter of objection to the possible closure of Snainton Fire Station and to send a copy to each Member of the Fire Authority.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO AMEND THE COUNCIL’S LETTER OF OBJECTION AND SEND THE REVISED VERSION TO EACH MEMBER OF THE FIRE AUTHORITY.

Members had received a copy of a letter from East Yorkshire Motor Services regarding the viability of the 128 Evening Bus Service. The Company says that the evening services are very marginal as far as profitability is concerned and, whilst it will continue to run them over the winter, people must show that they value them by using them. Parish Councils are being encouraged by the Company to make sure that this message gets as wide a publicity as possible. Posters, provided by the Company, have already been displayed on the Council’s Notice Boards and an article will be prepared for the next edition of WRNM News. It was AGREED to write to EYMS to point out that running the service in mid evening does not allow people to enjoy a full evening out in Scarborough or Pickering and the points in between.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO PREPARE A NOTE ABOUT THE 128 BUS SERVICE FOR THE WRNM NEWS AND INFORM EYMS OF THE PARISH COUNCIL’S COMMENTS ABOVE.

Under Other Community Issues, Cllr. Day asked about arrangements for providing a Christmas Tree at the usual site outside the former Reading Room in Wykeham. Parked vehicles are an issue in this location but Cllr. Sword said he would ask the Estate to source a tree. Cllr. Sword said he has been in correspondence with the Highways Authority about rubbish that has been tipped adjacent to the North Moor Railway Bridge but the matter has yet to be resolved. Cllr. Day referred to a dip in the road close to the telephone kiosk at the western end of Ruston near the junction with the A170 and Cllr. Jeffels said he would ask the Highways Authority to investigate. It was AGREED to investigate the need for refurbishing the Parish Council’s seats and bus shelters.

ACTION – CLLR. DAY TO INVESTIGATE THE NEED FOR REFURBISHING THE PARISH COUNCIL’S SEATS AND BUS SHELTERS.

At this point PCSO Newcombe arrived and Cllr. Terry closed the Meeting to allow him to make his presentation. He took the Meeting through the latest Police Report, copies of which had been circulated with the agenda. PCSO Newcombe said that there is to be a new Inspector (Andrew Shaw) at Eastfield. The 101 system for contacting the Police is working well and the priorities for Derwent Ward i.e. Safer Roads including Speeding, Poaching, Fly Tipping and Dog Fouling are unchanged. Any suggestions for changing these priorities will be considered.

The crime figures for Derwent Ward are up on the same period from last year and this is a matter for concern. The largest rise is in cases of theft and handling and Police presence in rural areas is being increased. It is known that all such incidents have not been reported and PCSO Newcombe stressed that it is important to contact the Police so that the type and patterns of criminality can be assessed.

Cllr. Terry thanked PCSO Newcombe for attending.

Cllr. Jeffels provided information about his work as County and Borough Councillor and drew attention to the fact that both Authorities are still having to make significant savings on their Budgets. In the case of Scarborough Borough Council, Management is being restructured with the loss of some Senior Posts. One of the savings being made by the County Council is the switching off some streetlights between the hours of midnight and 5.00am, an approach that has worked well in pilot areas. Cllr. Jeffels confirmed that the Waste Recovery Park at Allerton has been approved. He also mentioned the increased emphasis that the Forestry Commission is placing on its tourism activities.

Cllr. Terry thanked Cllr. Jeffels for attending and reopened the Meeting.

7 Consultations and liaison

 

Cllr. Sword has completed the assessment of Scarborough Borough Council’s draft Review of the Conservation Areas in Wykeham and Ruston and a copy of his comments and the response to these from the Borough Council’s Conservation Officer were circulated to Members with the agenda. It was NOTED that observations about opportunity sites and alterations to the limits of village development are matters for consideration during the Local Plan process.

Members had also received the Summary Documents produced by Scarborough Borough Council to assist the consultation on Delivering Housing Need. It was AGREED to support Option D which allows for 7,600 to 9,500 dwellings to be built in the Borough over an 18 year period at an average of 400-500 a year. This Option reflects the rates of growth achieved during the housing “boom years” between 2000-2007 and is seen as the most realistic scenario in which to promote economic growth and at the same time widen housing choice, support existing community facilities and attract new ones. The Borough Council will be asked to recognise and encourage, in all its strategies, the opportunities for allowing appropriate residential development in rural areas.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO ADVISE THE BOROUGH COUNCIL OF THE PARISH COUNCIL’S COMMENTS ON THE “DELIVERING HOUSING NEED” CONSULTATION.

Members NOTED the North York Moors Planning Authority’s Design Guide for New Agricultural Buildings.

8 Planning Application

The Clerk confirmed that the application to extend Wykeham Quarry has been approved subject to the applicant concluding a legal agreement with the County Council.

9 General correspondence

 

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. Of particular interest, was a letter updating progress on the Derwent Valley Bridge Project and also details of the two candidates for the Post of Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire.

10 Date and time of next Meeting

 

Monday 21 January 2013 at 6.30pm in the St John Office at Wykeham Business Centre.

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.