Monday 10 September 2012

Approved Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at 6.30pm on Monday 10 September 2012 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.

Present:

Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), L S Day and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).

 

1    Apologies for absence

 

Cllrs. Sword and Barnett sent apologies.  County and Borough Cllr. Jeffels was unable to attend.

 

2   Public Question Time

 

No members of the Public were present.

3   Code of Conduct and Register of Members’ Interests

 

The Clerk confirmed that all Members have submitted their Register of Interests forms to the Monitoring Officer at Scarborough Borough Council.  He will now arrange for the information to be posted on the Parish Council’s website after obtaining the format from the Borough Council.

 

ACTION – THE CLERK TO ARRANGE FOR MEMBERS’ INTERESTS TO BE POSTED ON THE PARISH COUNCIL’S WEBSITE.

It was acknowledged that any breaches of the Code of Conduct will be investigated by the Borough Council’s Standards Committee and it was AGREED that Parish Councillors will abide by any decisions made by that Committee.

4    Declaration of interests

 

In accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct, it was AGREED to grant dispensation to all Members to allow them to contribute to the discussion of all agenda items.  This decision is in the interests of the inhabitants of the Parish and will facilitate effective consideration of the business.  Voting dispensations will be considered as and when they become necessary.

5    Minutes of the Meeting held on 16 July 2012 and Matters Arising.

 

The Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

 

6    Finance

 

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the payment made since the Annual Meeting.  The following requests for payment were APPROVED and cheques authorised:

J J Harrison Ltd – 3 Grass Cuts                                                                        860.40

Mazars – External Audit Fee (Year ending 31 March 2012)                                     144.00

Data Protection Act Fee                                                                                           35.00

Clerk’s 3 month salary payment (July to September 2012) net                               240.00

HMRC – income tax on the Clerk’s gross salary                                                       60.00

 

It was AGREED not to provide financial support for the Citizens Advice Bureau.

 

7    Community Projects, issues and initiatives

 

Members considered the response of the Highways Authority to the Road Safety Petition submitted by Ruston residents and also the comments of Cllr. Jeffels.  It seems that any assessment of traffic by the Highways Authority would only be carried out after the work had been prioritised and placed in a list of similar competing schemes and it is doubtful whether the criteria for introducing traffic regulation could be met.  Highways would not, however, be against the principle of erecting signs warning drivers that they are entering a village environment where children may be playing and Cllr. Jeffels appears to support this approach.  He has referred the Clerk to the Borough Council’s Central Rural Committee which will be receiving bids for funding up to the end of September 2012.

Members decided to support the principle of providing suitable signs at both entrances to Ruston from the A170 and the Clerk was asked to research the design and cost of signs with a view to submitting a bid for funding to the Central Rural Committee.  The question of meeting any shortfall in funding was considered and it was concluded that, should this occur, residents will be approached to see if they can raise funds to match any contribution from the Parish Council.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO RESEARCH THE DESIGN AND COSTS OF ROAD SIGNS ON THE ENTRANCES TO RUSTON VILLAGE AND SUBMIT A BID FOR FUNDING TO THE CENTRAL RURAL COMMITTEE.

Cllr. Terry reported that the latest edition of the WRNM News has been printed and will be circulated in the next few days.  The funding position is unchanged with the Parish Council committing a maximum of £250.00 in 2013 if the community is able to match this figure.  Cllr. Day submitted a cheque for £145.00 from the proceeds of the Village Show for community use and this, together with other committed funds, will enable printing costs in 2012 to be met.  It is hoped that the Village Show in 2013, and other local activities, can raise funds for printing the WRNM News.

ACTION – CLLR. DAY TO DISCUSS FUND RAISING WITH THE ORGANISERS OF THE VILLAGE SHOW.

At this point PCSO Newcombe arrived and Lady Downe closed the Meeting to allow him to make his presentation.  He took the Meeting through the latest Police Report, copies of which had been circulated with the agenda.  PCSO Newcombe said that the 101 system for contacting the Police is working well and he confirmed that the priorities for Derwent Ward i.e. Safer Roads including Speeding, Poaching, Fly Tipping and Dog Fouling are unchanged. Although crime figures for Derwent Ward are up on the same period from last year, there were only two new cases in the Parish.  He said that theft continues to be reported from farms and commercial premises and that there are instances of private vehicles being targeted, including in the car parks at relatively isolated beauty spots.  Operation Buccaroo has been launched with increased Police monitoring of the car parks.  Operation Tornado is designed to clamp down on the illegal trading of scrap metal and scrap vans are being stopped and checked on a daily basis.  Regular visits are also being made to licensed scrap dealers and record keeping by them is generally much improved.  The Police continue to work with Park Rangers to control off-road vehicular activities.  PC Bilton has asked that any poaching activity be reported to the Police as this is the time of year when such activity is on the increase.

 

ACTION – ALL TO REPORT SIGNS OF POACHING ACTIVITY TO PC BILTON.

 

Lady Downe thanked PCSO Newcombe for attending and reopened the Meeting.

 

Cllrs. Day and Terry provided an update on the Millennium Walk and Ruston Village Amenity Area. Cllr. Day has arranged two “Wednesday Working Nights” on 19 and 26 September and there will be a meeting with a National Park Officer on 21 September to explore funding opportunities in addition to those reported at the last Meeting.  The amenity area in Ruston has been cleared and a suggestion has been made that the gate onto Eastgate could be removed to encourage easier access.  This suggestion needs to be discussed with the Estate.

 

ACTION – CLLR. TERRY TO DISCUSS REMOVING THE GATE INTO THE RUSTON AMENITY AREA FROM EASTGATE WITH THE ESTATES MANAGER.

 

Cllr. Terry referred to the notice in the bus shelter at Ruston which asks for consideration to be given to the needs of children in the Village.  It was acknowledged that even simple play equipment is expensive to provide and maintain, particularly as health and safety requirements are so stringent.  The possibility of local children being able to access the facilities at St Helen’s Park was raised and it was AGREED that this should be discussed with Mr Tedman.

 

ACTION – CLLR. TERRY TO DISCUSS THE USE OF FACILTIES AT ST HELEN’S PARK WITH MR TEDMAN.

 

Members had received a note from Cllr. Jeffels setting out details of a meeting with two senior fire fighters to discuss the future of Snainton Fire Station.  This will be held at 7.00pm on Thursday 04 October in the Snainton Reading Room and Cllr. Terry said he hoped to attend.

 

ACTION – CLLR. TERRY TO NOTE THE DETAILS OF THE FIRE STATION MEETING IN SNAINTON.

 

8    Consultations and liaison

 

The Clerk reported that Cllr. Sword has started work on assessing Scarborough Borough Council’s draft Review of the Conservation Areas in Wykeham and Ruston.  It was AGREED to ask Cllr. Sword to complete this assessment on behalf of the Parish Council.

 

ACTION – CLLR. SWORD TO COMPLETE THE ASSESSMENT OF THE BOROUGH COUNCIL’S DRAFT REVIEW OF CONSERVATION AREAS.

 

Members NOTED Scarborough Borough Council’s consultation on its draft Housing Strategy and also the County Council’s Emergency Training Event on 03 October.  Cllr. Terry expressed an interest in attending future meetings of the Northern Villages Community and Police Support Group.  Also NOTED was the ballot to elect 2 non-voting Parish representatives to the Borough Council’s Standards Committee.

 

 

9    Planning Aplications 

 

The Clerk confirmed that the proposal by Viking Gas to carry out exploratory drilling in Sawdon Parish with the site being accessed from the Downe Arms junction on the A170 and then up the road through North Moor has been approved subject to conditions.  He also reported that the outstanding application to extend Wykeham Quarry has still not been determined and that the applicant has submitted further information regarding the Landscape and Biodiversity Mitigation Strategy, a Revised Management Plan and a Revised Non-technical Summary.  

 

10    General correspondence

 

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2.

 

It has been confirmed that Littlejohn LLP have been appointed as External Auditors of the Parish Council’s accounts for the period 2012/13 to 2016/17.

 

Attention was drawn to the invitation from Anita Cassedy to attend the official opening of the Derwent Valley Bridge Community Library and Support Centre on Saturday 22 September.  Lady Downe will attend if possible.

 

ACTION – ALL TO NOTE THE INVITATION TO ATTEND THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF THE DERWENT VALLEY BRIDGE ON SATURDAY 22 SEPTEMBER (FROM 1.45PM).

 

11  Date and time of next Meeting

 

Monday 12 November 2012 at 6.30pm in the St John Office at Wykeham Business Centre.

 

Chairman – Signed by Cllr. Terry on 12 November 2012.

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.