Monday 08 July 2013

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at 6.30pm on

Monday 08 July 2013 in the St John Office, Wykeham Business Centre.

Present:

Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), G Barnett, L S Day

and Mr C H Holmes (Clerk).

Also present, for part of the Meeting, were County and Borough Cllr. D Jeffels, Borough Cllr. M Jay-Hanmer, PCSO M Braidley and 3 members of the public.

1 Apologies for absence

 

Cllr. R A H Sword sent apologies.

2 Declaration of interests

 

In accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct, it was AGREED to grant dispensation to all Members to allow them to contribute to the discussion of all agenda items. This decision is in the interests of the inhabitants of the Parish and will facilitate effective consideration of the business. Voting dispensations will be considered as and when they become necessary.

Lady Downe declared an interest in agenda item 8, the York Potash application.

The Clerk reported that the Borough Council has confirmed that a new Register of Interests entry must be completed by each Councillor on an annual basis. Copies of the latest form were distributed and Cllr. Hanmer said that the format is somewhat simpler than the previous version.

ACTION – PARISH COUNCILLORS TO COMPLETE THE RoI FORM AND RETURN IT TO THE ESTATE OFFICE FROM WHERE IT WILL BE COLLECTED BY THE CLERK.

 

Lady Downe closed the Meeting Agenda and invited PCSO Braidley to make her report.

Members had received the hard copy Police Report with the agenda and PCSO Braidley limited her verbal contribution to the headline material. She was pleased to report that crime figures for Derwent Ward are significantly down on the same period for last year i.e. April to June. PCSO Braidley said that a high level of resources is currently being devoted to monitoring and policing the Seamer Horse Fair and the Travellers who are attracted to it. The Fair will be open for 5 days and 4 nights commencing Thursday 11 July. There were no other exceptional matters to draw attention to at this time.

Cllr. Jeffels also spoke about the efforts the Borough Council and the Police are making to limit the impact of the Fair and the intention is to reduce the length of the event over time. It was AGREED to thank the Police for their efforts.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO THANK THE POLICE FOR THEIR EFFORTS RE. THE SEAMER HORSE FAIR.

A member of the public referred to problems at the viewpoint parking area close to the junction of Moor Road and Cockmoor Road in Wykeham Forest. Here, he said, vehicles have been driven into the area adjoining the parking area, loud music has been heard and there is evidence of a fire being lit and partying taking place. PCSO Braidley noted this information. The above resident also mentioned that some paths in the Forest are being “taped off” for cycling events and that there is some abuse of “green roads” by motorists. The Clerk said he would refer the above matters to the Forestry Commission/National Park Authority.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO REFER THE ABOVE MATTERS TO THE FORESTRY COMMISSION/NATIONAL PARK AUTHORITY.

 

PCSO Braidley was thanked for attending and left the Meeting.

Cllr. Day referred to problems caused by blocked gullies on the A170 with water running down the Hill into Town End at Ruston. A resident added that the carriageway at the junction of Moor Road and Cockmoor Road continues to deteriorate as a result of its use by HGVs servicing the Viking Gas site. Cllr. Jeffels said he would refer these matters to Mr West (County Council Highways).

ACTION – CLLR. JEFFELS TO REFER THE ABOVE HIGHWAYS MATTERS TO MR WEST AT COUNTY HIGHWAYS.

 

It was AGREED to continue the Meeting with the Agenda at Item 8 “Update on Planning Developments and Applications” and to allow members of the public to contribute to the discussions.

The North Moor residents were first to speak about the York Potash Ltd. planning application and confirmed that a meeting had been held with Mr Sword in his role as Manager of the Dawnay Estates. The residents left this meeting feeling positive about an agreement being reached which would lead to exclusion zones being designated around their properties but it has since been confirmed that the Estates and York Potash Ltd. consider that exclusion zones are unnecessary and that their designation in these circumstances could set precedents. The residents’ acknowledge that they are in a unique position as leaseholders without mineral rights but they feel they should be treated in the same way as freeholders. They are concerned about the effects the proposals will have on property values, mortgage applications and insurances and say there is evidence from Cleveland potash mining that subsidence is an issue. Mr Saunders said he would provide Cllr. Jeffels with details of this evidence.

The residents have received the letter from the North York Moors National Park Authority which sets out details of the arrangements for considering the planning application on 29 July 2013 and have noted that the 30 Parish Councils affected by the proposals will be jointly represented. Cllrs. Day and Terry had attended the joint meeting of Parish Councils held on 14 May 2013 when only 3 Parishes were represented. Residents asked if Wykeham Parish Council will ensure that the North Moor issues will be highlighted to the National Park Authority’s Members and Cllr. Jeffels said he will take the issues on board as he is a member of the considering Committee. In the meantime, the Clerk will contact the Yorkshire Local Councils Associations for an update on the Parishes joint submission.

ACTIONS – CLLR. JEFFELS TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE NORTH MOOR ISSUES WHEN THE PLANNING AUTHORITY CONSIDERS THE POTASH APPLICATION AND THE CLERK TO OBTAIN AN UPDATE ON THE PARISH COUNCILS’ JOINT SUBMISSION.

 

The North Moor residents were also first to speak about the Viking Gas development on Cockmoor Road in Sawdon Parish. They have established an effective working relationship with the Company but problems are being caused by the vehicles of contractors whose numbers exceed the levels approved in the planning permission and whose speeds are considered to be too fast at times. A horse rider’s dog has been killed in collision with one such vehicle. Cllr. Jeffels reported that the Highways Authority cannot confirm a date when the “slow signs” will be re-painted on the carriageway either side of the settlement and that it will not be in the near future. It was also mentioned again that the HGVs, in particular, have damaged the road at the junction of Cockmoor Road and Moor Road and regular repairs are having to be carried out.

The Clerk reported that Viking Gas has kept the Parish Council informed of progress via regular updates and the latest of these states that drilling will commence shortly following initial difficulties with the rig. He will contact the Company to inform it of the residents’ continuing transportation concerns.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO REPORT RESIDENTS CONCERNS ABOUT TRANSPORTATION ISSUES TO VIKING GAS.

 

The Clerk reported that no decision has yet been made by the North York Moors Authority on the application to alter and extend North Moor Cottage, East North Moor although the development is well advanced. He also confirmed that the application for a Wind Farm at Linghall Farm, West Heslerton has been refused contrary to Officer recommendation.

It was AGREED to continue with the Agenda at Item 5 “Community Projects, issues and initiatives” and to allow members of the public to contribute to the discussions.

Cllr Terry reported that the latest WRNM News has just been published and Cllr. Barnett said he will continue to seek support for printing costs from Hardwicke Engineering and the Downe Arms. Cllrs. were asked if including advertising in the newsletter had been considered and Cllr. Terry explained that the original concept had been based on not including adverts although the insertion of flyers is not ruled out. The level of business conducted at the “Farmer’s Market” was mentioned and Lady Downe said that the Estates continue to work hard to try to ensure its continuing success. The competition provided by roadside stalls was referred to and it was concluded that if this is an issue it is a matter for the Planning and Highways Authorities.

Cllr. Day provided an update on the Millennium Walk and Ruston Village Amenity Area project where picnic tables, seats, signs and a basketball frame are now in place. Additional fencing is to be carried out, consideration will be given to printing new maps and £300.00 is available through grant aid for planting bulbs and country flowers. The Clerk confirmed that the picnic tables are covered by the Council’s insurance.

Under Other Community Issues, Cllr. Day reported that the official opening of the new Cricket Club Pavilion has taken place with Lord Downe doing the honours. Unfortunately, the weather was inclement and, despite attempts to play, no game was possible. Photographs of the event are available to view on the Cricket Club’s website. The future of the Village Hall project was also discussed and it was AGREED that a meeting of the Village Hall Committee should be convened and any decisions then reported to the Parish Council.

ACTION – CLLRS. DAY AND TERRY TO LIAISE WITH CLLR. SWORD IN SETTING UP A MEETING OF THE VILLAGE HALL COMMITTEE.

3 Minutes of the Meeting held on 13 May 2013 and Matters Arising.

 

The Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

4 Finance

 

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the receipts and the payments made since the Annual Meeting. These included the transactions involved in the construction of the Ruston road signs and payment of the income tax on the Clerk’s April to June 2013 salary to meet the HMRC deadline. The following requests for payment were APPROVED and cheques authorised:

J J Harrison Ltd – 3 Grass Cuts 885.60

Clerk’s 3 month salary payment (April to June 2013) net 252.00

6 Consultations and liaison

 

Cllr. Barnett had attended the inaugural Management Committee Meeting set up as part of the approval process for the extensions to Wykeham Quarry. He explained that the discussions involved considerable technical detail and, whilst he would be willing to attend future meetings, no decision had been made about who would be the Parish Council representative for the areas close to the development. It was AGREED that the Clerk would contact Mr Ayres at Hansons to establish how the Parish Councils’ representative will be chosen.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO CONTACT HANSONS RE. THE APPOINTMENT OF A PARISH COUNCILS’ REPRESENTATIVE ON THE WYKEHAM QUARRY MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE.

Members NOTED the North Yorkshire County Council’s initiative to review its Local Account for Health and Audit Services and the intention to prepare a Minerals and Waste Joint Plan by the North Yorkshire County Council, the City of York and the North York Moors National Park Authority.

7 Highways Information

The Clerk reported receipt of information about the County Council’s Highways Capital Programme for 2013/14 and 2014/15. Various surface treatment schemes are listed for Wykeham and Ruston in 2014/15 but locations are not described in sufficient detail and the Clerk was asked to request copies of plans.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO REQUEST PLANS OF RELEVANT LOCAL ROAD SCHEMES FOR 2014/15 FROM THE HIGHWAYS AREA OFFICE.

9 General correspondence

 

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. The list of meetings organised by Scarborough Borough Council, North Yorkshire County Council, the North York Moors NPA and the YLCA was NOTED as was a letter of thanks from Cllr. Jeffels following his re-election as County Councillor.

10 Public Question Time

 

All members of the electorate had left by this stage in the Meeting.

11 Dates and times of next Meetings

 

Thursday 10 October and Monday 18 November 2013 at 6.30pm in the St John Office at Wykeham Business Centre.

Chairman – Signed by Lady Downe on 10 October 2013.

 

 

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.