Monday 17 January 2011

WYKEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Approved Minutes of the Meeting held at 6.30pm on Monday 17 January 2011

at the St John’s Office, Wykeham Business Centre, Wykeham.

Present:

Cllrs. Lady Downe (Chairman), J P Terry (Vice Chairman), K R Shamel, L S Day

R A H Sword and C H Holmes (Clerk).

1 Apologies for absence.

Cllr. D Jeffels was unable to attend.

2 Police Report.

Lady Downe welcomed PC Bilton who spoke to the Police Report on recent activity in the Derwent Valley Ward area. The top Police priorities focusing on Safer Roads, Poaching, Fly Tipping and Dog Fouling are unchanged and PC Bilton went on to describe the main local incidents that have occurred in the Derwent Valley since the last Parish Council

Meeting. This included the Christmas period. Travelling gangs from outside the Scarborough area have been responsible for most of the significant crimes which have included thefts from vehicles in pub car parks and farm machinery. There has also been a theft of lead from a Church porch. The Police are continuing their regular efforts alongside National Park Rangers to combat illegal off-road vehicle activity. Because some routes are vehicular rights of way, part of the initiative is to educate the drivers involved. PC Bilton closed by informing the Meeting that the Police will be publishing a corporate message about the effects of financial cut backs. As part of the changes, PC Hazelwood will be returning to Eastfield. Lady Downe thanked PC Bilton for attending and he left the Meeting.

3 Declaration of interests

Cllr. Sword declared an interest in the planning applications for development at Wykeham Primary School.

4 Minutes of the Meeting held on 23 November 2010 and Matters Arising.

The draft Minutes were AGREED to be a true record and Lady Downe signed a copy.

The Clerk reported that Caroline Skelly from the National Park Authority will be visiting the area in early February to assess the potential for undergrounding any existing electricity cables and he will arrange to meet her when she does.

Cllr. Sword reported that he has met Mrs Clothier (Headteacher at Wykeham Primary School) to discuss the Parish Council’s objections to the planning application for new perimeter fencing and confirmed that OfSTED did raise security as an issue. He described the amendments that are being considered which include proposing a 2.4m high fence of wider mesh construction with narrower uprights on the main A170 road frontage. A shorter length of 2m high fencing is likely to be proposed at the rear of the School playground and the Estate will liaise with Mrs Clothier to see if a new gate similar to that at Lora Courtyard can be provided as a replacement to the existing one providing access from the car park. It was AGREED that Cllr. Sword would contact both North Yorkshire County Council and Scarborough Borough Council and ask them to ensure that the Parish Council receives copies of any revised plans.

ACTION – CLLR SWORD TO CONTACT THE PLANNING AUTHORITIES ABOUT THE PARISH COUNCIL RECEIVING REVISED PLANS FOR FENCING AND GATES AT WYKEHAM PRIMARY SCHOOL.

5 Finance

Members received the latest Financial Statement (attached as Appendix 1) and noted the payments and receipts since the last Meeting. The Clerk reported that the annual subscription of £61.00 for membership of the Society of Local Council Clerks was due and it was AGREED to not continue with this membership.

The Clerk circulated a report which summarised the projected financial balances at the end of March 2011 and March 2012 taking into account anticipated income and expenditure. On the basis of this information, it was AGREED to request the Borough Council to raise a Precept of £2,000.00. The Model Agreement income will be £2,291.00 as detailed by the Borough Council.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO REQUEST SCARBOROUGH COUNCIL TO RAISE A PRECEPT OF £2,000.00 FOR 2011/12.

Cllr. Day reported that the Parish Council’s Notice Board outside the Church has been vandalised and it was AGREED that this should be repaired.

ACTION – CLLR .DAY TO ORGANISE THE REPAIR OF THE PARISH COUNCIL’S NOTICE BOARD.

Cllr. Shamel will ask the Estate to raise an invoice for £150.00 (the funding provided through County Councillor Jeffels) towards the printing costs of the Parish Newsletter.

ACTION – CLLR. SHAMEL TO ORGANISE THE RAISING OF AN INVOICE FOR £150.00 TOWARDS THE PRINTING COSTS OF THE PARISH NEWSLETTER.

There was a brief discussion about the use of the land south of 29 Wykeham and also the opportunities for improving and maintaining areas of open land at the beginning of the Millennium Walk in Ruston and the area adjoining the Church and the Ice House in Wykeham.

6 Community Projects and Issues

There was nothing new to report on the Village Hall Project or the plans to improve the area around Ruston Beck.

Cllr. Terry reported that a bid for £1,750 to support the continued publication of the Parish Newsletter has been made to the Voice Your Choice initiative and that it has been approved for inclusion in the consultation exercise. Public events where local people will vote to support their preferred projects are to be held at Ayton Village Hall (10 February – 5.00 to 8.00pm) and the Rugby Club in Scalby (12 February – 10.00am to 2.00pm). Display boards will be borrowed from the Estate and leaflets will be delivered to every house locally, encouraging people to vote for the Newsletter funding.

Cllr. Shamel reported that Mr and Mrs Carne, who have moved to Wykeham, have kindly offered to help with the design of a Parish Council web site.

ACTION – CLLR. SHAMEL AND THE CLERK TO ARRANGE TO MEET MR AND MRS CARNE TO DISCUSS THE DEVELOPMENT OF A PARISH COUNCIL WEB SITE.

Cllr. Terry commented that numerous empty cartridge cases have been left along the footpath leading from Rowe Howe House to Sawdon and Cllr. Sword assured him that they would be cleared up by the end of the season.

7 Transportation Matters

The Meeting discussed the recent heavy snowfalls and the inconsistent levels of response from the County Council when dealing with requests for help with clearance and gritting. Cllr. Terry was particularly concerned about the poor level of service in Ruston where service buses struggled to get through and where, despite numerous requests, grit bins have not been refilled. It was AGREED that the Clerk would refer these matters to Cllr. Jeffels and Mr West, the Highways Area Manager.

ACTION- THE CLERK TO REFER WINTER ROAD MAINTENANCE ISSUES TO CLLR. JEFFELS AND MR WEST

8 Consultation and Liaison

Consideration was given to the Review of the Corporate Plan 2011-2016 and It was AGREED to inform the Borough Council that the questions about priorities asked in the Questionnaire are so general that they could be applied to virtually anywhere in the Country. Furthermore, the need for this type of general forward planning should be evaluated and prioritised at a time when services that are used and valued by communities are under threat.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO INFORM THE BOROUGH COUNCIL OF THE ABOVE DECISION.

9 Planning Applications

Members considered a application to install a new bunded oil tank at Wykeham CE Primary School and it was AGREED that there are no objections to the development.

ACTION- THE CLERK TO INFORM THE COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE ABOVE DECISION.

The Clerk informed the meeting that the Caravan Club is considering a proposal for a 5 van site at Wykeham Grange Farm. A proposal of this scale does not require planning permission.

10 General correspondence

Members received and considered the list of general correspondence that is attached as Appendix 2. Attention was focused on the next meeting of the County, Borough, Parish and Town Councils to be held on 14 March 2011 when the Localism Bill will feature on the agenda. It was AGREED to approach neighbouring Parish Councils along the A170 to ask if they would be interested in a group session on the Localism Bill to which an Officer from the Borough Council would be invited.

ACTION – THE CLERK TO APPROACH NEIGHBOURING COUNCILS ABOUT A MEETING TO DISCUSS THE LOCALISM BILL.

11 Public Question Time

No members of the public attended.

12 Date and time of next Meeting

Thursday 31 March 2011 at 6.30pm in the St John’s Office at Wykeham Business Centre.

Chairman- Signed by Lady Downe on 31 March 2011.

 

 

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.